WelcomeTo My World

Monday 28 March 2011

Nixmary Brown Rally 2011


Nixmary Brown Rally 2011 -
Nixzmary's army to rally at City Hall


BY Nancie L. Katz
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, July 19th 2008, 9:25 PM
Related Articles * Sex predator gets 35 to 40 years for two rapes * Judge tours development to get insight * Voice of the People for Feb. 17, 2011 * Alleged car thief pulls 2-by-4 during scuffle with probation officers * Only two years for meat cleaver attacker * Slain bus driver's kin want to see thug fry
*

Most moms fight for their kids. These moms are fighting for children they've never met.

They call themselves Nixzmary Brown's Soldiers, and they plan to rally at City Hall Sunday to call attention to their cause.


A group of strangers shocked by the brutal 2006 death of Nixzmary Brown, 7, at the hands of her mother and stepfather, they have banded together to demand tougher penalties for child abusers. Lapsley-Morrisroe, Suzi Quiles of the Bronx and Renee Ortiz of Brooklyn met online, where they discussed how disgusted they were by Nixzmary's death. The Brooklyn second-grader was starved, tied up, tortured and ultimately beaten to death in January 2006. Her slaying led to major changes in the city's child welfare system.

The women collected 30 pages of signatures for a petition, demanding the maximum sentence for Nixzmary's stepfather, Cesar Rodriguez. He was convicted of first-degree manslaughter in April. Now they have e-mailed, passed out flyers and contacted advocates and politicians to call for a minimum of life in prison without parole for child killers, as well as a nationwide criminal database to screen foster parents.

"We are just a bunch of moms who really had enough and figured something needs to change," said Quiles, 37, who burst into tears as she recalled the funeral she attended for 3-year-old Kyle Smith, who was beaten to death in Brooklyn last month. His guardians are charged in connection with the crime. Ortiz, 36, said her own daughter and son remind her daily of Nixzmary and Kyle's tragic fate.

"Dear Kyle," she blogged recently. "I just wanted to let you know we did not forget about you. You are now a sweet angel. Nixzmary's soldiers will not let you rest in vain."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/07/19/2008-07-19_nixzmarys_army_to_r...


Dear Teddy (prayer of an abused child)
Teddy, I've been bad again,
My Mommy told me so;
I'm not quite sure what I did wrong,
But I thought that you might know.

When I woke up this morning,
I knew that she was mad;
Cause she was crying awful hard,
And yelling at my dad.

I tried my best to be real good,
And do just what she said;
I cleaned my room all by myself,
I even made my bed.

But I spilled milk on my good shirt,
When she yelled at me to hurry;
And I guess she didn't hear me,
When I told her I was sorry.

Cause she hit me awful hard, you see,
And called me funny names;
And told me I was really bad,
And I should be ashamed!

When I said, "I love you, Mommy,"
I guess she didn't understand;
Cause she yelled at me to shut my mouth.
Or I'd get smacked again.

So I came up here to talk to you,
Please tell me what to do;
Cause I really love my Mommy,
And I know she loves me, too.

And I don't think my Mommy means,
To hit me quite so hard;
I guess sometimes, grown ups forget.
How really big they are!

So Teddy, I wish you were real,
And you weren't just a bear;
Then you could help me find a way.
To tell Mommies every where.

To please try hard to understand.
How sad it makes us feel;
Cause the outside pain soon goes a way,
But the inside never heals!

And if we could make them listen,
Maybe then they'd understand;
So other children just like me,
Wouldn't have to hurt again.

But for now, I guess I'll hold you tight,
And pretend the pain's not there;
I know you'd never hurt me,
So Goodnight, Teddy Bear!

By Ruth Bourdon

No comments:

Post a Comment